Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Webquest 1: Nancy to Dabo

I started my journey in the Place Stanislas, a beautiful public square in Nancy in the Lorraine region of France.

 
The sides of the square are made up of the city hall, theater, hotel, a pavilion, and a fine arts museum. All of these buildings have the same ornate design for their facade, and the result is stunningly beautiful.


I decided to go into the museum of fine arts, one of the oldest in France. It houses many pieces representing the whole range of western art, but I was particularly taken with the Daum glasswork exhibit.


Currently on exhibit in the museum are the designs of Jean Prouvé, who's home is the reason for my choosing Nancy as my first stop. I know it seems odd to be interested in something so dry, but I am a nerd and the simple, practical, modular designs of Prouvé appeal to me. So from the museum I visited Prouvé's home, and then decided to get something to eat.



I went to the Restaurant Ariane, where I ate a green salad with tomatoes, goat cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette, as well as a vegetable quiche (Quiche Lorraine has bacon), and for dessert, Calfoutis aux cerises, a delicious looking cherry cake. On my way out of Nancy, i purchased some macaroons, bergamots, mirabelle plums, a bottle of mirabelle plum lambic, and a cd by local composer Florent Schmitt.


As I drove South east of Nancy, I stopped by the Château de Lunéville, a large castle with extensive open fields and gardens. 


 The inside of the castle is unfortunately closed for restoration due to a fire. So I continued on my way east, where I at last came to Dabo, and I climbed the Dabo Rock with my bag of goodies, and ended my day munching on plums, drinking Lambic, listening to Schmitt, and checking out one of the best panoramas I have ever seen.

Dabo, Dagsburg, View from the Rock Le Rocher in Alsace

Some of this info I already knew, some came from http://www.nancy-tourisme.fr/ some came from endless reading on wikipedia, and exploring the surrounding area on google maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment