Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Webquest 2: Nimes

Today, I began my journey in Nîmes. It is an ancient city in southern France, close to the Mediterranean Sea. There have been people living in or around Nîmes for more than 6000 years. There are numerous sites around Nîmes that show the history of the city and the region, leading from the Neolithic period, through to today.

I started my day with a tour of the Nîmes ancient architecture, starting with the Arena of Nîmes, a roman arena built around 70 C.E. It is still used today for a concert venue and bullfighting ring.



From the Arena, I went to the Maison Carrée, a roman temple build in 16 B.C.E. This building has been preserved through the years, but has never stopped being used. It has been a roman temple, a christian church, a meeting hall, a horse stable, a city archive, and a fine art museum. Directly next to the Maison Carrée, is the Carré d'art, built in 1993, which houses a museum of modern art and the city library. Despite the contrast in building styles and materials, the two buildings share the portico and columns, which give them a sense of continuity. 


I was feeling hungry, and i wanted to try out some of the regions specialties, particularly Brandade with truffles. Brandade is a dip or spread made with cod, olive oil, garlic and mashed potatoes. It is traditionally served with bread or truffles. I opted for the truffles. OMG. With my lunch I drank a local but familiar product. Perrier comes from a spring just outside of Nîmes.


Fully sated on deliciousness, It was time to move on to the days next adventure. Nemausus 1 is a low income housing project that incorporates many interesting and beautiful features. (part of the reason I love this documentary series is that it gives such a good sense of the atmosphere of the place.)


Then on to a beautiful roman tower overlooking Nîmes, the Tour Magne. I couldn't embed this panorama from the top of the Tour Magne, but it is well worth checking out.

http://visites-virtuelles.showaround.fr/france-360/visite-virtuelle-nimes-tour-magne-vue.htm

I visited a market and picked up another local speciality: Tapenade made with olives and anchovies, Pélardon (locally produced goat cheese) and a baguette to enjoy them with. Then went to the Jardins de la Fontaine to eat them.


From Nîmes I headed south to Parc naturel régional de Carmague, a protected wetland area on the Mediterranean Sea, where I spend a couple of hours walking.


I finally finish my day at the nearby village of Saintes Maries de la Mer, on the Mediterranean sea. It is the subject of a series of paintings by Van Gogh. 


I sat on the beach, and swam in the sea to finish out my day.


http://www.saintesmaries.com/en/

http://www.ot-nimes.fr/index.php?id=1&L=1


No comments:

Post a Comment